Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Whole New World for Kendal


Kendal started her preschool daycare this week and it literally is a whole new world for her. I, of course, was a nervous wreck on her first day. I think I called 4 or 5 times during the day to check on her. She did very well and seemed to adjust well considering she was surrounded by strangers and in a different environment. Today was even better for her. So far, the only problem has been nap time (for those that know about Kendal's sleep issues, this is NO surprise). Today she only napped between 5-10 minutes and cried heavily during this time. My heart hurts to even think about it. I guess it is just a mother's instinct, but I wanted to run down there and hold her when I heard her crying over the phone, but I know that she needs to adjust and even though it's not easy it is something that we all have had to do at some point in our lives.

What impressed me so much was that the owner (Karin) of the daycare made a point to educate all the staff about Kendal and her condition. She also made poster boards that serve as communication aides to use with Kendal. This is something that we had tried in the past during speech therapy and she never really caught on. Now that she is a little older, I think she will respond much better to this form of communication. Karin went above and beyond to accomodate Kendal and they all seemed so excited to have her.

We are still awaiting the results on the latest lab tests to determine if Kendal has a mutation. We also scheduled her EEG August 12th @ 7:30pm. The test is for the research study but also the neurologist. He did state that EEG's usually come back abnormal with a child with Angelman Syndrome but Kendal seems to break all the rules - so who knows. If there's one thing I've learned, I can never underestimate what God can and will do in Kendal's life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie, it will get better! I'm glad the daycare is so cooperative, understanding and working so hard with Kendal. You are truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

Hello! My name is Elizabeth, and I was one of Kendal's teachers at Kids Country Club. I have now gone back to school, but Ms. Karin told me about this blog, so I am keeping up with Kendal!
Kendal is such a sweet little girl. I enjoyed having her in my class on the days that I was there, and it absolutely made my day to see "Kendal's Summertime Garden" posted on this blog. It was a lot of fun to make with Kendal, and she did a great job! Hope things are going well for you all. :-)

Counter