Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Nice Gesture

This week has been hard for two reason - it is deathly cold outside and Kendal's a little under the weather. Nothing major, just a snotty nose and alot of drainage. The last two days I have had to completely douse her face with Vaseline. She loves me so much right now!

I got a nice gesture from the neurologist (see last two posts) this afternoon. I had requested his nurse write up a recommendation letter on Kendal's therapies for the insurance company. We are not sure at this point what kind of coverage we will have when she rolls off of the TEIS program. The insurance plan has Maintenance Therapy which calls for a maximum of two therapy sessions within 30 days of Speech, Physical, and Occupational Therapies. Kendal currently receives 16 sessions in 30 days. The doctor said he understood the complications with insurance as he has had to deal with his 18 year old son who has severe autism. He said he would type up the letter this afternoon detailing to the insurance company that the therapies are detrimental to Kendal and her progress. He said he would write it up that it is a necessity at this point to continue current therapies as is to avoid further complications down the road concerning her physical and mental health. He wanted to warn me not to pay any attention to the wording, that it was just to the benefit of the insurance company. He further told me not to hesitate to call him if I needed any help with the school system when I enroll her. I thought he really went out of his way to understand my situation and our needs. This is the doctor I remember from our first visit with him!

I have the night off tonight. After eating dinner, James sent me upstairs to have an evening by myself - to do some reading, make a post on my blog, take a bath, go to bed early, etc. He has gotten in the habit of doing this at least once a week and it is so nice. Thank you so much James!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your very welcome. :)

Paula said...

I found your blog through Emilie's. My daughter has been diagnosed as of last Friday. It is something that is just unexplainable.
I too live in TN. About where are you?
Kendall is beautiful.

Shirley said...

Wow! Tell James that I'm really proud of him. That's an awesome gesture of love and appreciation on his part.

Deanna said...

Your little girl is beautiful!
(I bounced over here through Emilie or Paula, I think...)
I understand your frustration with insurance and doctors - our 14 year old son has AS. Feel free to email me anytime.

Counter