Wednesday, January 7, 2009

FUN!!!

Just a warning - the title of this post is a sarcastic one. Yesterday we had a neurologist appointment for Kendal. We had this appointment because several months ago I had called the doctors office because I had concerns over Kendal doing an odd behavior of tilting her head drastically to one side for 5-15 seconds while walking around. Now, wait. I know it sounds stupid to call the doctor over something like this, but because of the high risk of seizures (80-85%) associated with Angelman Syndrome I am on high alert (and a little crazy, I admit). The doctor had previously described the many different kinds of seizures, and I wanted to at least inform him of what she was doing. The nurse had gotten back with me and said the doctor didn't think it was anything to worry about, but he did want to go ahead and see her again in the next month or so. Hence, yesterday's appointment.

The weather yesterday was ugly so I dreaded taking Kendal all the way to Vanderbilt, fighting the traffic, navigating the parking garage, and getting her out. The appointment was at 10:00 and they actually called us back after just a few minutes of waiting. A doctor that I had never met came in, introduced himself, and starting asking questions about Kendal to determine our concerns. We really had no concerns (at least for the neurologist) to speak of so we ended up talking about some behavior issues that we have been having. The doctor finally comes in and maybe stays for 5 minutes. He is not in a position to see patients as he was having bad back pain and could hardly walk. He said our concerns we needed to take up with another doctor and said he would see us in another 6 months. Before I knew it, he had already left the room. I was livid to say the least. He had not spoken or even acknowledged Kendal when he was in the room.

I emailed the doctor today after some more thought and explained that I was not sure why he needed to see her again in 6 months. I further told him that I had to take off work to make the appointment and that it was a complete waste of my time. I even said that it seemed like they were trying to figure out why I was even there if I didn't have any concerns and I pointed out that he had requested the appointment, not me. He has been good about returning emails in the past. We will see if I get a response.

I wasn't in any way trying to be disrespectful but I think it is important for these doctors to remember that it is not easy making these appointments, especially in our busy lives and to have my time wasted is extremely frustrating.

I wonder how much he will bill my insurance company? Do you think it will be a discounted rate because of the little amount of time spent with us? I'm guessing no - What do you think?

0 comments:

Counter