Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How the Night Unfolded...

It was a long night, but it's finally over and done. We got to Vanderbilt about 7:30 last night and wondered around for 15 minutes trying to find where we supposed to be. I had completed a consent form and forwarded it to the lady in charge of the research study and she had forgotten to drop it off at the Clinical Research Center and they obviously could not do anything until they had the signed documents. After several phone calls and scurrying around, we ended up logging into our email at home and printing another consent form off and resigning. Finally, at 9:15, we began the test.

As you can see from the photos, Kendal tolerated the wires very, very well. Once we got her all hooked up (with over 40 sensors), I got in the bed with her and tried to get her to go to sleep. She would begin to doze off and then she would startle herself and wake back up. I promise she must have done it 15-20 times. I was really glad that she did this during testing because I have always had a little concern over this and it also may explain why she has had sleep issues all along. After about an hour, I switched places with James and he took over. Of course with her daddy, she did much better and they were happy with the amount of readings after about 15-20 more minutes. I am anxious to see how the test results come back. I hope the doctors can give me more information on these "startles" that she continues to have and maybe a treatment as I am thinking this might have been the problem all along. When she wakes up at night and tries back to fall asleep she keeps startling herself awake. This is just a theory but hopefully we will gain some insight into it.

The sticky stuff they put in her hair was awful this time. It went on like an oily Vaseline and dried to the consistency of a hard ear wax. We did 3 hair washings at the hospital and I will do another this evening to try to get the rest out. We finally left Vanderbilt at 11:30 and got home at 15 after midnight. I went ahead and gave Kendal a snack and milk and she went quickly to bed - that is for about 90 minutes. She woke back up around 2:30 and probably didn't go back to sleep until 4:00 and then slept till 8 this morning. I figured the disturbance in her schedule would throw her totally off and I'm so glad I did not have to work today.

She is taking a nap now and will hopefully get back on her regular schedule. Thank goodness we don't have anything else going on this week. I pray it will be boring!!

0 comments:

Counter