Monday, August 11, 2008

A Hard Week for Kendal

Well, I finally have the video on here thanks to James and the work he put in to get this thing edited. I took this video last week and it shows the progress that Kendal has made in her verbal sounds and her signs. Suzanne, the speech therapist, is totally awesome and truly loves what she does. Since she has came into our lives, Kendal has made tremendous progress. Suzanne is one of the most determined people I have worked with and she KNOWS that she will get some words out of Kendal, even when I sometimes have doubts.

It has been a week since the last post simply because Kendal has been sick and now me and James are feeling the effects. I took her the doctor last Tuesday and they said she just appeared to have a viral infection. Things seemed to get much worse Wednesday and Thursday and finally on Friday I took her back. She had an ear infection, sinusitis, tonsillitis, and strep throat. Of course at the doctors office, she acted like her usual self - as we walked to the examination room Kendal giggled, laughed, and squealed. I asked her politely to please act sick--

This week we appear to be back on schedule for the most part. Tomorrow evening we are going to Vanderbilt for an EEG as part of the research study Kendal is involved in. We are anticipating not being home till 11:00 or later so I am taking off of work Wednesday to recover from the late night I will probably have with Kendal. She loves her routine and really seems to struggle when we throw a wrench into her schedule.

I wanted to give Regie and Yolanda Hamm a big congratulations on all their recent success. Please check Regie's blog (on the side bar) to hear their story. We met them first over the phone after we got Kendal's diagnosis and then we got to meet them at the Angelman Syndrome Walk-A-Thon. Their daughter also has AS and they have been so supportive and have always lent an ear when we needed one. Regie recently won the American Idol Songwriter Contest and his winning song was also played at the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the video Kerrie! It's great to see how she is progressing with other areas of development! You should be proud:)

Shirley said...

Kerrie, that is so awesome! She is doing such a great job with her sounds. I especially loved how she got tired at the end and threw the cat at her therapist, lol, I can relate.

Side note: No matter how sick kids are, they will NEVER appear to be so once you get them to the doctors office, lol. Never.

Mendy said...

Small world. I believe his daughter was adopted from China, right? I read his story that another China adoptive parent had posted on their blog. If you get time, check out www.signingtime.com They are wonderful sign language videos. I think Kendal would love them. It helped us after we got home from China and she was trying to learn English vs. Chinese. Great video. She is precious. Next time we are visiting Mark/Shirley, I would love to meet your precious girl.
Mendy

Mendy said...

Kerrie,
Do you mind if I add your blog to my blogroll as one of my favorite blogs?

Amy said...

Kerrie, thanks for posting the updates and videos. I love watching Kendal. I will be praying for you all during this extra-trying time (with the slapping). Hope you have a fun and relaxing holiday weekend.

Counter