Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Good Reminder

Kendal has been doing so well lately, I kept asking myself why I was going to the trouble of completing a 30-day sleep study that will begin tomorrow evening. Tonight, I have been given a good reminder that although Kendal has been doing much better, she still sometimes struggles with her sleep. She has been up for the last 2 hours. She isn't crying, but I can hear her rattling around and occasionally squealing. I have already been in to change her diaper just to make sure she wasn't playing in it (like last night!) and she is her usual happy excited self at 1:00 in the morning.

Tuesday me and Kendal went to Vanderbilt to visit the Geneticist. I think I shocked him because I was in a much better place than I was the last time we saw him. Life has a way of working things out and since we have accepted some of Kendal's limitations and are striving to make things better for her, I am much happier about where we are at. Of course Kendal was acting like a ham for him and he was really happy about her starting the public school program and her therapies.

We then briefly met with a dietitian to discuss Kendal's food intake. Kendal has always been an extremely aggressive eater, much like her mother and father. She is very solid and is in the 93rd percentile for her weight. The dietitian looked at our food log and was good with the variety of things that Kendal was eating, but that she was just eating too much. I totally agree. Kendal will eat everything we put in front of her and we have a hard time deciding how much is enough. We will probably start measuring some of her food just to help us get a visual of how much she should be eating at mealtime. We also switched to skim milk and will make some different choices on her snacks.

We then did some developmental testing. Kendal has had these same tests now a handful of times. Because she had already been there a couple of hours to see the doctor, Kendal got very clingy and did not perform her best. I don't blame her. I was tired, hungry, and aggravated and I'm sure she was too. We finished up at 1:00 and headed to the daycare and me back to work.

This week seems to have been more challenging than most and James has been great to step up to the plate (his favorite expression - no actually he hates it when I say that). He has taken care of dinnertime, bathtime, and getting Kendal ready for bed all this week. Thank you so much James.

Tomorrow will be interesting. We go to Vanderbilt at 1:00 and will stay until 9:00 Friday morning. Please pray that me and Kendal keep our wits about us. I'm sure it will be a very long day.

It's quiet. I think she has finally fallen back a sleep....

2 comments:

Nana D said...

How did the sleep study turn out or is it too soon to know? Why does she need this? Isn't it a given that children with Angelman's do not sleep well? That must be so hard to deal with.

Shirley said...

Speaking of a blog needing an update...

Counter