Monday, May 18, 2009

Walk-A-Thon or should it be called a "Talk-A-Thon"

Saturday's Angelman Syndrome Walk-A-Thon was AMAZING. We had about 35 people show up to support Kendal. The day started out so ugly, and yet all these people got out of their beds and came down in their "Team Kendal" t-shirts. I was so proud to be surrounded by people that love us - we have truly been blessed to have amazing family and friends. In addition, we had many people that donated to the ASF on behalf of Kendal and we thank you so very much!!!

As usual, I did more talking than anything. I'm not sure why it is a Walk-A-Thon. I think if I were in charge, I would just have some comfortable seating to sit around and socialize. Something I LOVE to do!

We met several people that I have talked to or seen their blogs on their children. I spotted beautiful Carmyn (http://lovebeingamom-paula.blogspot.com/) and was so happy to met Paula, her mother. Paula, please let me know if you end up moving this way - it would be great to get together!!

I was able to trade stories and suggestions to some parents about things that work for Kendal. Again, how blessed are we to have a network of people right here in our area?

Pictures will follow of this great event. Again, thank you to everyone that was able to donate this year!!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Oh, it was so nice to meet you. Chris and i were amazed by the support of Kendal. we have told EVERYONE!!! That is a lot of love! I was just so impressed.
Kendal is so much more beautiful in person.
You know I was amazed at how the sun came out just in time for the walk....God is so gracious!

Paula said...

Hey...I received this in email...maybe you can go...sorry so last minute.

There will be a very good speaker at the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center this week, Wednesday, May 20 at 4:00pm in Room MRL 241 on the main floor. Please pass the word.

Here is the title of her talk:
4-5 p.m. — Vanderbilt Kennedy Center Event
Special Lecture: “Phenotypic Characterization in Angelman Syndrome Using Advanced Imaging Techniques”
Sarika U. Peters, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Section on Developmental Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine
Room 241 Kennedy Center/MRL Building
A reception will follow the presentation.
For more information contact amy.pottier@vanderbilt.edu.

It will be scientific, but it won't be impossible to understand. Dr. Peters is a developmental psychologist who has looked into the differences between Autism and Angelman syndrome in the kids behavior and in MRI studies of their brains. It should be very interesting. She is a member of the team doing the Angelman Natural History studies at the Baylor site in Houston.

Here is the flyer about the talk. http://kc.vanderbilt.edu/kennedy_pdfs/Peters_web.pdf

Unknown said...

I like you "Talk a Thon" - so true!!

Counter