Monday, November 10, 2008

Things we have been considering...

A lot has seemed to go on the last week or two concerning possible changes in Kendal's IFSP (Individual Family Service Plan). We have been eagerly awaiting the evaluation of Kendal by the behaviorist. As of this morning I still had not heard from anyone so I called the company that is supposed to handle this stuff and I actually received a call back stating they would be at the house tomorrow morning at 7 to evaluate Kendal. The behaviorist was not familiar with Angelman Syndrome (surprise, surprise) and said she would look it up tonight to try to get somewhat familiar with it. I thanked her for that because I find that I spend quite a bit of time educating people about the syndrome and believe me when I say I have no business educating people on anything. I will update you concerning the recommendations the behaviorist gives up tomorrow.

We have again lost our Service Coordinator with TEIS. We are now starting on our fourth coordinator that we have had in 18 months. I image it is not a very fun job with mothers and fathers like me having to continually call to get things handled regarding our children. TEIS has been helpful in many ways, but lately I have felt that the last thing they are concerned about is helping the family, which from what I understand used to be their main focus. Kendal can only remain on their program till March 2009 and at that point, services (therapies) are transferred to the public school system. I have been warned by therapists and doctors that the quality of therapy is nil and that speech and occupational therapy will both need to be handled privately where Kendal can get the attention she needs in these capacities.

We were looking at enrolling her in Rutherford County School system in March (if we're still here) for one day a week, for a 30 minute session. The purpose of this would be to begin trying out a communication system for Kendal. The school system would provide one for her that we could use outside of her therapies. At first I thought this was appealing because I want to give her anything I can that may help her communicate with us. However, I spoke with Suzanne (our speech therapist) and she did not really think that Kendal was ready for something like that just yet. I then began to think about the school system and the sometimes ill-qualified people that work with our children. I am not too sure that the person in the school system would be adequately trained to provide such a specialized service. I think we will wait till we move to Mount Juliet and maybe explore this in another 6 months to a year. Kendal's progress is slow to me and of course I constantly wonder if she will ever talk. Suzanne seems determined that Kendal will talk despite the diagnosis. I don't want to be negative but I also don't want to hang all my dreams on her talking. It's something that I pray for, but who knows what God has in store for her.

On a side note....TWO more showings on the house over the weekend. Still no offers.

1 comments:

Shirley said...

Just keep praying. That's all you have the power or ability to do.

Congratulations on the two showings!

It will all work out in God's time. Just like I always knew God was going to bless you with a baby (Kendal) I also know that He has many other blessings in store for you as well! Just trust in Him and believe in His promise.

Counter