Monday, September 21, 2009

My Kendal

This summer has flown by and I haven't been able to accomplish much. I find that time is passing at a dizzy rate and I wish it would slow down so I could enjoy these years of discovery with Kendal. She is progressing well but there are always battles on the horizon and we continue on with our work.

We have been dealing with alot of behavior issues due to Kendal's lack of communication skills. She hits, and now pinches, to get what she wants - whether it's attention, to greet someone, to illustrate her protest of something. My hearts hurts for her that she can't express herself. She is watching all those around her talk and yet she remains silent. I am still trying to figure out God's plan for her. I worry about her future - whether she will have friends like I do even when she can't talk. I wonder if she'll fall in love one day. I wonder....I wonder.....I wonder.



We continue with therapies and with school and I can see that she gets tired of it all. Most kids don't have to deal with all the things I throw at her. I can only pray that we are doing the right things. After having another consultation with our behaviorist, we have realized that Kendal really needs more one-on-one attention to deal with the behavior effectively. Currently she is in a preschool with 18 children in her class. The teachers cannot keep an eye on Kendal the whole time understandably and alot of bad behavior is not able to be dealt with immediately. Kendal really needs a "shadow" at this time to continually correct and guide Kendal to learn proper behavior with her peers and adults. Not only that, we see that Kendal doesn't know how to play with toys appropriately and she gets frustrated easily when she struggles to accomplish tasks. A "shadow" would help initiate play with peers and act as a buffer between Kendal and others until she learns a better way to communicate.

We have requested another IEP meeting to try to get the private and school provided therapists on the same page. In addition, the school is suggesting possible assistive technology to see if Kendal responds to a communication devise - probably something like the one in the following link (http://store.mayer-johnson.com/us/gotalk-4.html). We are asking the behaviorist to join us in the IEP meeting both to support us and also suggest different behavior techniques with the teachers that might help Kendal. I pray that we are on the right track and things get better.

As many of you know, we recently moved into an apartment until we decide to buy another house or build again (we want to build again!) and we are on the third floor. Kendal has decided that she does not like the steps and refuses to go up the stairs on her own. So what does that mean? I have to carry her (all 40lbs of her) up 3 flights of stairs along with her backpack, my purse, papers, and everything else I carry on a daily basis. By the time I get upstairs, I'm exhausted, burnt out, and ready to cry. On the bright side, we did get a permanent handicap parking tag to help when we will need to use Kendal's new stroller (she gets fitted for it this week!). I know this issue will probably be short lived or that's what I keep telling myself. Other problems emerge, and older problems seem to get better.

Please continue to pray for us.

3 comments:

Paula said...

ou are right about time flying. We are getting carmyn the Go Talk 9..the therapist said she would out grow the 4 too quickly...thought I would share.

akaiser90 said...

Kerrie you and james are such awesome parents! And Kendal is such an amazing kid! You all are in my thoughts and in my prayers! If you ever need anything, please let me know... I love you guys!

-Alex Kaiser
(Miss Alex from KCC)

Unknown said...

Glad to see you had a good time but I hope you'll be posting about how the trip was and all the things you did.

Counter